The networked society is raising many research questions that cut across disciplinary domains. The Networked Society Institute’s Doctoral Academy brings together a cohort of PhD students for 12 months to foster an interdisciplinary culture and build interdisciplinary research capacity at the University of Melbourne.
The Academy connects students with the Institute and provides knowledge about the networked society. The Doctoral Academy provides support for students to encourage and catalyse innovative research and development activity. The Academy seeks to develop:
- Conscious academic citizenship among the participants
- Interdisciplinary skills, methodologies and approaches
- Pragmatic academic skills for negotiating the Australian academic context
The Academy consists of a series of seminars and workshops throughout the year specifically designed for members. Doctoral Academy members will also be able to tap into and actively engage in the broader Institute’s program of activities.
The work of the Doctoral Academy is broadly structured in two phases, the first focuses upon the student’s own research and builds towards the Institute’s Annual Symposium event on 26 October 2018, while the second seeks to provide a deeper engagement with the interdisciplinary research process leading to a research outcome in mid 2019. The minimum commitment is between 4–8 hours per month.
- Participation in the Doctoral Academy workshops, seminars and events.
- A $3,000 top-up scholarship (for non-NSI Scholarship recipients).
- Affiliation with the Institute.
Places in the Doctoral Academy are limited, and entry is via a competitive selection process. The requirements for entry into the program are:
- Enrolled in the first or second year of a PhD program at the University of Melbourne and
- Completion of the application form demonstrating:
- Research alignment with the Institute
- Interest in building an interdisciplinary research career
How to Apply
Applications for 2018 have now closed. Subscribe to our newsletter to always be first to hear about NSI News and Opportunities.