A Comparative Analysis
This project is an innovative, interdisciplinary and cross-national investigation that takes forward a new agenda for online deliberation research: the study of everyday political talk in formally non-political online "third spaces". Specifically, it will comparatively analyse the impact of "super-participants" on political talk in discussion forums and micro-blogs (Sina Weibo and Twitter) across China and Australia. To do this, the project will combine quantitative and qualitative content analysis and social network analysis (SNA). To enable the SNA of Weibo, the project is working with the open-source NodeXL platform to continue the development of a data importer.
- Scott Wright - School of Culture and Communication
- Garry Robins - Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences
- Andrea Carson - School of Social and Political Sciences
- Todd Graham - University of Groningen
- Shaojing Sun - Fudan University Journalism School
IBES Seed Funding 2014